If at first you don't succeed... order pizza.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Menu: March 22-March 28

I have been waiting all weekend to be able to make my menu! I am really obsessed if you can't already tell ;) And I am glad I waited... some good items in the sales today plus some great coupons I found for items I already had on my list! (Another tip, if you don't get the Sunday paper--I get the Sunday paper purely for the ads, don't tell my journalism professor!-- you can also find coupons for widely used ingredients to print at coupons.com)

This weeks menu is made up of a mix of family favorite standards and some new dishes (which makes the chance for an entertaining--for you-- disaster a bit higher!)

Monday: Beer boiled brats on the grill; Baked beans; carrots; chips
-- I may even make myself a Mojito! I reignited my love for these tasty little concoctions on my recent trip to Mexico. Super simple to make, a slice of lime, a sprig or two of mint, some ice, some run, some club soda and the most important part: raw sugar. Seriously can I tell you how wonderful these are?? If you are like me (or my sisters, who share my tastes for rock candy) you drink it with a straw and crunch the sugar between your teeth. I don't know about you but I think Mojito flavored rock candies would be a for sure hit! Now that I got myself all worked up, I may need to go make one right now :)

Tuesday: Black bean and Fajita beef tostadas; Homemade guacamole.

Wednesday: Homemade Shrimp Gyoza (they are usually called wontons or dumplings on the handy-dandy chinese take-out menu); steamed edamame; homemade sushi



Thursday: Alex is on his own as Mayce, Emma and I will be in Rochester for the night. I will mix him up some tuna so he has an option at home, however, he never complains about "having" to drive through Burger King for a delicious flame-broiled whopper :)

Friday: Since we will be heading back home from Rochester I will just be picking up a Pizza from Sam's Club. Ever had their pizza? Best. Take-out. Pizza. Ever. And a very large pizza for only $8. Score!

Saturday: Pot Roast with Carrots and Red Potatoes in the slow cooker; Homemade Red Lobster Cheesy Garlic Biscuits.

Sunday: Any leftovers from the pot roast or fish sticks and tots (a freezer staple)

Hm... what recipes to highlight...
Well the Gyoza with Soy-Citrus sauce are a new one to me so I don't have much for comments except I LOVE them when I order them at a restaurant. I found this recipe in my latest Cooking Light Magazine and I am just going to add some shrimp to the filling.

Oh and I couldn't possibly mention Red Lobster's Cheesy Garlic biscuits and get your mouth all watering and then leave you without the recipe!!
I found this one online in a crazy search to find the closest recipe out there and, trust me, this one nails it!

Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits Makes about 8 large biscuits
2.5 cups baking mix
3/4 cups cold whole milk (you can use whatever kind you have)
4 Tbl. very cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese (be generous)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Combine the baking mix with the butter using a pastry cutter (you can also use a fork). Mix until the butter is the size of small peas. Add the cheddar cheese, milk and garlic powder. Mix by hand until combined (be careful to over mix, you want to avoid warming up the butter with the heat from your hands or the biscuits won't be as tender). Using an ice cream scoop, drop biscuits onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Bake about 15 minutes until the tops are starting to brown (You will have to watch them closely at the end, my oven seems to cook them differently each time).
Melt 2 Tbl. butter and miss with 1/2 tsp garlic salt. Brush this mixture over biscuits and bake 1-2 more minutes.
Enjoy!

If there are any other recipes that you might want just post me a comment and I will get it to you as soon as I can :)

Have a great week... Enjoy what sunshine we are given... And try something new for dinner this week!

Check back for pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word! Can I come eat at your house? Please! I am like drooling looking at the gyoza (whatever you call it) and the recipe for the Reb Lobster cheesy garlic bread roll things... oh man... yum!

    ReplyDelete