If at first you don't succeed... order pizza.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies.... A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.


So I found this recipe one day while I was doing my daily search of allrecipes.com. I immediately wished my cookie jar was already full of them so I knew it was a definite must-save recipe. So I saved it.

But that just wasn't good enough for me. I had to make them. So I put in a Dora tape, gave Mayce a snack and some apple juice and headed for my kitchen :)

To say these cookies are easy to make is a complete understatement. I am not a baker. But if you can read a recipe, you can make these cookies.

And I am proud to say that not even four days later, my cookie jar is empty- that's right- I have eaten pretty much every single one of them. And it won't be empty for long, as soon as I get more butter, I am making these little delights once again.

Magic Peanut Butter Middles


I took the advice of some of the reviewers and decreased the amount of sugar in the dough from 1/2 cup of each brown and white sugar to 1/3 cup of each- it is definitely sweet enough and the chocolate tastes much more rich without so much sugar in the dough. I also added 1 Tbl of milk as the very last step of the dough. Some of the reviewers said they had a problem with the dough being too crumbly and hard to wrap around the peanut butter so I think this helped moisten it up a bit.

The peanut butter mixture takes a little time to mix together. I finally gave up using a spoon after a few minutes of getting nowhere and just went in with my hands. Kneading it and letting the heat from your hands warm up the peanut butter a little really helped get the mixture together. It will look a lot like play-do when you are done with it.

I also took the time to divide both the chocolate batter and the peanut butter mixture into thirty balls before I started putting them together. This way I was sure not to waste any part of this delightful cookie. (Quick tip, form both mixtures into a log-like the chocolate mixture above- and cut it into three sections. Then cut each of those sections into half and make 5 balls out of each part.)

In the recipe, there isn't really a clear direction on how to wrap the chocolate dough around the peanut butter ball. I found that if you flatten one of your pre-measured chocolate balls into a disc, they are a cinch to wrap around the peanut butter.

I only needed to use two large jelly-roll pans to bake all thirty cookies. They do not spread as you bake them, so a lot of extra room is not needed.

Before you bake them, dip a small drinking glass into a bowl of sugar and flatten the cookies to about a 1/2 inch thick.
The recipe says to bake them for 7-9 minutes. I baked mine for the full 9 minutes. The tops of the cookies will still seem like they are not finished cooking but as long as the edges have set up, the tops will firm up as the cookies cool.
Pour yourself a large glass of milk and enjoy! Speaking from experience, these cookies make the perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner. Just make sure you spend the rest of your day on the treadmill ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment